Many yoga practitioners pay special attention to the body’s chakras, seven energy centers that serve different parts of the being. These energy centers are pockets of swirling energy that are align vertically down the center of an individual’s body, but sometimes, they can become unbalanced, causing health to suffer.
The seven chakras are:
1. The Root Chakra, located at the base of the spine. This chakra is in charge of survival. It is often associated with the color red.
2. The Sacral Chakra, located below the bellybutton. This chakra motivates you to enjoy the fruits of your labor. It is often associated with the color orange.
3. The Solar Plexus Chakra, located in the center of the belly button and extending up to the breastbone. This chakra encourages your personal power and relates much to your career. It is often associated with the color yellow.
4. The Heart Chakra, located at the heart center. This chakra hosts your love, compassion, and kindness. It is often associated with the color green.
5. The Throat Chakra, located at the throat, helps with communication. It is often associated with the color blue.
6. The 3rd Eye Chakra, located on the forehead, focuses on your intuition. It is often associated with the color indigo.
7. The Crown Chakra, located at the top of the head. This chakra is pure light and consciousness. It is often associated with the colors violet and white.
Learn more about the chakras and what you might feel like when they’re healthy or unbalanced at Mindvalley.
Now that you know what the chakras are, it’s time to learn how you can get in touch with them in the office.
The most important thing you can do to get in touch with your Root Chakra at work is breathe! Take three or four deep breaths when you’re feeling stressed. Get up, stretch, and walk around. If your Root Chakra feels out of balance, take a small break and venture outside. Nature works wonders!
Are you still feeling pleasure and pride at your work? If you’re having an off day, try writing down three things that gave you pleasure at work recently. It could be a compliment from a client, a project you were particularly proud of, or simply the way you have your desk set up. Remind yourself to enjoy your work and be proud of what you’ve accomplished!
The Solar Plexus Chakra is one that can get especially out of balance at work since it is so driven by motivation and success. If you’re not feeling successful or if you’re in a rut, come up with a to-do list and prioritize. Once you check off a task, give yourself a pat on the back. Even small steps are one step closer to success!
Feeling like your Heart Chakra is out of whack? Show your team members a little love! Stop by each of your coworkers desks and let them know why you appreciate working with them. If they seem to be struggling themselves, see what you can do to help. The Heart Chakra thrives when you share your love with others, so see what you can do to be a compassionate team member yourself!
The Throat Chakra is another big one that can become unbalanced in the office, particularly if you’re communicating with many different people over email, phone, or in person. As strange as it may sound, try humming if you’re feeling stuck! Humming activates the Throat Chakra and encourages positive movement. If that doesn’t work, try speaking to yourself the following intention: I intend to speak my truth clearly and confidently.
If you’re feeling like everything is coming at you out of left field without warning, your 3rd Eye Chakra may be unbalanced. This is another chakra that benefits from taking a short walk outside to put your day in perspective. During this walk, turn inward. If you have time, consider meditating for 2-5 minutes. Remember to be kind to yourself – even the most enlightened individuals feel lost sometimes! The best thing to do to get in touch with your 3rd Eye Chakra is to stop, listen to what your body is telling you, and take breaks where needed.
Many spiritual people find it difficult to connect with their Crown Chakra in a corporate environment. This doesn’t have to be so! You should always make time to connect with yourself on a spiritual level, be it through religion, yoga practice, or even just spending some time in your own head. If you’re feeling out of touch, schedule some time after work to attend a yoga class, shop at your favorite store, eat your guilty pleasure treat, or snuggle up in sweatpants in front of the TV! Then bring that energy into work the following day. You can even suggest your manager bring a yoga instructor on-site to work with your team for an hour. At Chasing Nirvana Yoga, we offer plenty of wellness options for the corporate and property manager landscapes!
If you’re feeling off, remember that it might be your chakras, and it is never, ever your fault as a person. Always be sure to make time to take care of yourself during the work day and beyond. You’ve worked hard … you deserve it!