There are many a ways to make squash, a lot of which call for butter, sugar and even marshmellow's. Thanksgiving is a day of indulgence as it is, without the added processed foods and excess sugar. Mine as well cut where you can and save those extra calories for the pies and desserts! This is my favorite way to cook squash for a large group, or any size for that matter:
What you'll need:
- Butternut Squash
- Coconut oil
- Ground Ginger
- Dice the squash very small (The larger they are the longer they take to cook, I dice mine really small)
- Heat a spoonful of coconut oil in a pan
- Throw in the diced squash and coat in the melted oil
- As squash start to soften, sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
- Cook until squash is soft to the touch with a fork. Add seasoning as desired.
- Serve with a cinnamon stick
Easy, healthy & delicious without the added sugar, butter & MARSHMELLOWS! I bet you could even try it with sweet potato's!