What I'm loving about Risotto right now is that you can have it as a side dish or add a protein and change it into a whole meal. Healthier than mac n' cheese and more delicious! This dish will warm you right up on a snowy winter night.
What you'll need:
- 1 C. Arborio Rice
- 2 Leeks Chopped (these have a light onion taste)
- Arugula - as much as you'd like keeping in mind it's peppery taste
- 4 C. Chicken Broth
- A protein (optional)
- 1 - 2 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 2 T. Butter (try with olive oil or Earth Butter for a healthier/vegetarian option)
- A sharp cheese of your choice (optional, or try GO Veggie permasean cheese for a vegetarian option)
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 C. dry white wine
- Saute Dry white wine, garlic and leeks in olive oil or butter until soft and fragrant, add salt and pepper
- Add the rice and toast in the saute mixture
- Once nice and toasted, add 1 cup at a time of the chicken broth, as each cup is absorbed by the rice and the next cup until all 4 cups are gone
- While doing step 3, wash and drain /pat dry the arugula leaves
- Optional: Once the last cup of broth is mostly absorbed, add your protein to complete as a whole meal or eat without as a side dish. Since I added shrimp, I put the raw shrimp into the mix at the very end so that they would not overcook in the broth.
- Mix in cheese (to taste)
WaLa! A yummy warm side dish or complete meal for the winter. Easy to make and great for dinner. Next time I may add beets to give it that red and green Christmas feel!