I made this the other night for a party at my parents house and it was a much bigger hit than I had thought. My family is not totally on board with health, wellness, yoga, holistic, raw, etc etc. Not that I blame them, I'm not even totally falling for it yet - steak tips and burgers are some of my favorite foods - but I will say that I LOVE FOOD! And because of that I never write anything off just becasue its Vegan or Gluten Free or Raw or what have you. I will try it all especially if its better for me, still tastes good and comes packed with less of those imaginary little people that sneak into my closet at night and switch out my clothes for smaller sizes - calories! (signal fist shaking)
I couldnt have brought this raw cake topped with organic rose petals to a more opposite party - UFC fight night at the Sherwood house hold - lol! They weren't so excited about the roses as I was but they sure did gobble up the cake. I'll be making this again for Easter this weekend! Enjoy!
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup raw almonds (pecan or walnuts will also work)
- 1/2 cup soft Medjool dates
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 3 cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 5 hours, overnight is best
- juice of 4 lemons
- the seeds of 1 whole vanilla bean (or 1 tsp. alcohol-freevanilla extract)
- 2/3 cup raw coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup raw honey (solid or liquid.)(Vegans use agavenectar.)
- 1 cup raspberries or strawberries or any berry of choice (if frozen, thaw completely)
- Organic roses
- 1 egg white
- Organic Sugar
- Place nuts and dates in a food processor with sea salt and pulse to chop until they are to your desired fineness (process a finercrust longer than a chunky one). Test the crust by spooning out a small amount of mixture and rolling it in your hands. If the ingredients hold together, your crust is perfect. Scoop out crust mixture in a 7” spring-form pan (if you don’t have a spring-form pan, use a pie plate lined with saran wrap - this really works i used this method), and press firmly, making sure that the edges are well packed and that the base is relatively even throughout. Rinse food processor well.
- Warm coconut oil and honey in a small saucepan on lowheat until liquid. Whisk to combine.
In the most powerful food process or blender you own (you decide which one has the most torque) place all filling ingredients(except berries) and blend on high until very smooth (this make take a couple minutes so be patient). If you have a Vita-Mix, absolutely use it.
- Pour about 2/3 (just eyeball it, you can’t make a mistake!) of the mixture out onto the crust and smooth with a spatula.
- Add the raspberries to the remaining filling and blend on high until smooth. Pour onto the first layer of filling. Place in freezer until solid.
- Pick rose petals off of flower, trim off the white section at the base of the petal, rinseunder warm water & pat dry
- In a small bowl, combine 1 egg white with a tablesppon or so of water, whisk until frothy
- Paint the rose petals with the egg white mixture, sprinkle with sugar and place into frdge until they harden
- Before cake is frozen all the way through, top with rose petals
- To serve, remove from freezer 30 minutes prior to eating. Run a smooth, sharp knife under hot water and cut into slices. Serve on its own, or with fresh fruit. Store leftovers in the freezer (what leftovers?)
I'll be enjoying this right after I stuff my belly with mashed potatos, corn and ham - nom nom nom
Happy Easter Everyone!